Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Fun facts

While traveling back to Hawaii to finish grad school... I am taking the scenic route and taking a month to get half way around the world.  So stop number 3 after Dubai and Amsterdam... was Sweden to visit my friend Marcus who lived on Molokai about 8 years ago. 

As much as I enjoy traveling ... I really enjoy spending time with friends in new cities... it gives the local perspective.  So Marcus planned out the few days I was going to be visiting and he had planned to take a road trip from where he lives to Stockholm after church and dinner with his family on Sunday.  Can I also say how much I really enjoy road trips!

Road tripping across Sweden was started with Marcus saying something about "fun fact" ... and then pointing out a spot and making some sort of comment.  It became the catch phrase of the trip and each time it brought smiles and laughter...

So as I have been posting picts on fb I have been putting FUN FACTS with them... here are a few other fun facts I learned along the way..

I knew Ikea was Swedish but we went to the oldest and largest Ikea...no other Ikea matches up to the original in Sweden...

H&M is a Swedish company and we passed their headquarters while in Stockholm

ABBA is a Swedish band and we actually went through the museum in Stockholm.  And I had the privilege of singing on stage with holographic images of ABBA!  Needless to say... I was singing "Dancing Queen" for the rest of the evening.... and had to watch Mamma Mia when we got back to Malin's apartment.

Swedish fish are not from Sweden but there are many other sweets and food that are known for being Swedish delicacies

Pippi Longstocking, Trolls, and Vikings are well known Swedish traditions.

Hanging on the locks refers to waiting by the door for a store or shop to open.

When the King has a public dinner ... it means the public are invited to come and watch the king eat... they are not served.

Fina fisken = nice fish (something nice).... the direct translations of Swedish words to English are sometimes very funny.

Huskvarna where Marcus grew up and where his parents still live is known for its lawn equipment!

Well... at this point I am waiting at the bus station in Jonkoping to go to the airport in Gothenburg.... it has been a really good few days catching up with friends and exploring Sweden.  I am not sure I will ever be able to hear the phrase 'Fun fact' without thinking back to this trip to Sweden!

No comments:

Post a Comment