Sunday, May 4, 2014

Baby Story... village style

If you have seen the documentary called Babies that came out a few years ago... children depending on where they are born are raised very differently.  For a while I have been curious what the birthing process looks like in this village...

Well today after church I was talking to Nakafero who is due to have child in the next couple of weeks by her calculations.  As we were talking I asked how baby is doing and her response was "she is doing well".  I questioned how she knows it is a girl because they don't have ultrasound machines or even how to calculate the exact due date... baby comes when baby is ready!  Nakafero tells me... I just know its a girl.  So time will tell on that one.

To continue with the baby story...village style... we will take a step back before baby.  I grew up with Cabbage Patch Kids... where the story is that these babies come out of a cabbage patch.  Well in the village,  most babies are produced in the matoke (banana) plantation. This is in huge part to the multi generational living in a one room mud or brick hut.  So when in the village be aware of the phrase... lets go to the banana plantation!

As Nakafero and I were talking... I asked her where she was going to have baby and she said in Namrumba which is about 5 km from Busunju.  Unless you live here I realize this makes no sense so here is a more understandable version... you start feeling labor pains and either call a boda (motorbike) driver or start walking the 5km on bumpy dirt roads to Busunju...from there you get a taxi (normally a van the size of an old vw 'bus' that can seat 14 passengers) to take you the next 5 km.  Depending on how quickly you get a boda or a taxi and whether it has been raining this journey of 10km could take an hour or more all while being in labor. 

Sounds like a great way to start off the birthing process.  Not sure what the hospital/clinic in Namrumba is like but normally giving birth in a village clinic requires you to bring everything you need to give birth... from towels to a razor to cut the umbilical cord.  I have also seen cases where you have to bring your own composition book for the attending staff to write out the birth certificate!  The clinics and even most hospitals are not equipped with anything... you even have to bring your own meds or sends someone to the nearby pharmacy to pick up what you need!

Will be spending time with Nakafero this aftenoon working on finishing my mat so I will see if I can get more details of giving birth in the village!

No comments:

Post a Comment