Sunday, May 4, 2014

Baby Story... part two

So like I promised I did get the chance to talk with Nakafero tonight as we finished my mat...

I asked her to list off the things that she had to bring with her to the hospital and here is what she said... clothes for her and baby... basin...jerry can for water...towels/blanket... razor... needle (in case she tears and needs to be stitched)... I stopped her there as I was just absolutely flabbergasted.  I jokingly asked if they supply the doctor to stitch you up?? And yes... there is a medical staff that can stitch you up.

I asked if she already had all of this together in case she went into labor... her response was ... I have lots of time... a woman knows her body.  From the time you start feeling pain until baby comes could be days or even a week and if a woman wants her baby she knows!

Now correct me if I am wrong but some babies come much quicker than that.... right?  And I guess if that happens... baby just comes out wherever you are here...and you have all the supplies with you.  Gives a whole new meaning to be ready in and out of season!

So if you give birth naturally with no complications... you are sent home after 4 hours.  As Nakafero said... there is no reason to sit around at the hospital.   However if you have a c-section because baby won't come out... you can be in the hospital a month or more.

Am I boring you with baby details yet???

No!  Good because there is more... the father of the child normally drops the mom at the hospital and goes about his daily duty.  Sometime the mom's mother will come with her. After the baby is born... the new mother calls the father to announce girl or boy and ask for a ride home.  It is the father's responsibility to name the child.

The mother's siblings are not aunts and uncles but mamas and tatas to this little one.  So soon to be 4 year old Harriet will be known as mama to Nakafero's child. 

With all this said... this entire topic is culturally taboo!  You don't walk up to a pregnant woman and say anything about the baby or her tummy... especially when the woman is not married.  You don't mention anything until the momma is walking around the village with the baby strapped to her back.  Nakafero has been very willing to answer my questions as she has had questions she wants to ask me about where I am from and my hair... but that is a blog for another time... as it is very funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment