Sunday, October 13, 2013

What a week it has been!

I am realizing that I am not so good at blogging the day to day stuff so as I had time today I wrote out a recap of the week...

Monday- I met with the teaching staff.  My clock and the teachers clock were 30 minutes different so here I called the meeting at 10:30am (beginning of break) showed up a few minutes before to start and the teachers were thinking by their clock break was almost over.  We fixed the 30 minute time zone difference and the children got an hour break.

The purpose of the meeting was to see in what areas the teachers need help or assistance.  They listed things like organization, class decorations, lesson planning, helping those children that are not where they should be, and more hands on learning ideas.  All things that the first year teacher needs assistance with so we will be working on these things in the next few weeks.

Tuesday- I was checking messages while eating breakfast and all of the sudden a message pops up to back up my computer as something was wrong with the hard drive.  So instead of being up at the school, I sat and backed up all of the documents, pictures, and music from my computer.  Then ran the disk drive scan which seemed fine.  At this point, the computer is still running but everything is backed up now.  Hannington also came to the village to bring supplies and make sure the work supplies for the new buildings were getting here.  We talked about school related stuff and how the teachers meetings went.  Realizing good communication is the key to getting things done well!

Wednesday, I heard Allen leave at 6:!5am so I got up and let Sheba out... as this is when she has decided she needs to be up.  I laid back on the couch for a little while.  At a little after seven, I heard a mass exodus of small children that had come to school not realizing that it was Uganda's independence day.... (also had a couple of teacher's that had forgotten as well!)... so they all had a holiday.  Ended up spending  the day making hands on resources for the teachers.  I have all of these amazing ideas... and no resources so I am using tp rolls to sort colors and empty water bottles for counting beads in... hopefully when I am complete I will do a blog on these resources... TRASH to TREASURE!  Will go to Kampala in a couple of weeks on a scouting mission to see if I can find things like beads or marbles, fingerpaint (or ingredients to make my own), pipe cleaners, wooden clothes pins, etc.  I have quite the list for hands on learning so we shall see if I can find the supplies in country!

Thursday I woke up before 5 with stomach issues... I will spare the details with simply saying, it was a "cipro" day and I had to stay close to the bathroom.  Praising God for an indoor bathroom. 

Friday I was feeling much better and spent the day with working on more hands-on stuff for the teachers and children.  Spent time reading with the children and then prepped to lead Bible Study.  Met with four other ladies and started looking at what God's word says about patience

Saturday... worked on my cooking skills... made pancakes... biscuits... and vegetarian chili (yes out of dried beans!)... I am breaking the stereotype that muzungu don't cook!  That evening I was sharing what I had made with Allen and she was excited that I made biscuits so I let her try one...  she gives me this face like "what kind of biscuit is this???".  I inquired about what she calls biscuits and realized that their "biscuits" are sweet cookies to us... their "cookies" are more like crackers to us... and they normally don't have things like I was referring to as an American biscuit.  Even bread is a special treat here... you can buy it, it is just not a staple food here.  I am finally realizing why I keep getting weird looks when I pass out the biscuits... I have been excited to make them so I have been sharing them because I thought they were so good...it is like us telling a child they are going to get a chocolate chip cookie and giving them a slice of wheat bread instead! LOL! 

Also spent an hour or so working on  a project for Aunty Kimberly taking pictures of the children for thank you notes...  Cute story for the day...
 
I had seen the children out this morning getting water in their "play/work" clothes... told them to take the water home and come back... that we needed to take some pictures for Momma Kimberly. They came back half an hour later in their Sunday best! They had even bathed!  Love these precious little cuties.
 
That leads us to today where the question of the day has been... Do you have a baby (or children)?  This has come from numerous of the children and adults and is a foreign concept that I don't have children.  We had almost 30 people at church today (more than half are children)... three of the older girls which I had talked with on Saturday and invited  them to church were there... they are in P4 at the Catholic school down the road.  When I invited them... they looked at me and said they couldn't because they weren't "born again".  I told them that Jesus loves them and they are welcomed to come and learn more about Jesus.  And it thrilled my heart to no end to see all three there in service this morning!
 
After church I came back to the apartment to make rice to go with the leftover chili and my following of children was waiting on the front porch of the clinic talking to me through the kitchen window.  Gave them a futbol and a playground ball to play with while I had lunch.  Unfortunately... eating lunch took well over an hour because I kept getting distracted to rescue Sheba from the hands of Paulo who loves on her a little to snug and she just hollers... also had to join in the game! LOL!  All afternoon I would settle in the apartment to do something... and one of the brown eyed cuties would come to the window "ANGELA"...  not much work was done today but hopefully some friendships were built. 
 
Well that is a brief synopsis of my week.  Sheba is doing well and caught her first frog this week.  I also had my first bat escapade which freaked me out a bit.  Now that I know the sound they make... I am aware that there are a lot outside at night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment