Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Misconceptions from a servant's heart


This morning as normal routine, while eating breakfast I was checking messages and noticed a link called “10 Reasons not to become a missionary”( http://www.alifeoverseas.com/10-reasons-not-to-become-a-missionary/) . I read it, understood where the writer was coming from, and then went about cleaning. As I am cleaning, I am thinking of this article and the misconceptions of missionaries (which is what this article was about). So I felt prompted to respond to some of these in my own personal opinions and thoughts (again... just my opinion... take it or leave it!).  Many of these are born out of comments made directly to me. 


A little background for those just joining in this journey (and to clarify what is about to be written!)... I am currently in Uganda, AFRICA serving God by using the gifts and talents He has given me to assist in putting policies and procedures together to build a quality Christian school in a remote village. I have spent the past 10 + years in Molokai, Hawaii as a teacher and director of an early education program... before that I taught everything from fourth grade through college age... almost every subject imaginable.

  1. I am not a missionary. I am simply under the calling (as we all are) to “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you...” (Matthew 28:19-20)... the way God calls each of us to do this may look very different but it is something we are commanded by Jesus to do.
  2. I did not grow up with the aspiration to teach or travel. Those are desires God has put in my heart through the years. There have been so many times that I have felt so inadequate and unequipped but the saying is true... “God doesn't call the equipped... he equips the called!”
  3. I have never prayed “God don't send me to Africa”. I learned a long time ago not to tell God I am not going to do something. I have had to do everything I told God I would not do... but Africa was never mentioned.
  4. I will not beg for money. My God is big enough to supply all of my needs according to His riches in glory so why do I need to beg and plead in my own strength for people to give me money. I am simply trusting that God will supply each thing that is needed in His timing. I have also been blown away by his faithfulness and who He chooses to use to assist and provide my needs. The stories are endless and I am beyond blessed.
  5. I am not under an established “mission board” or sending agency. After doing research and seeing what the stipulations were for some of these agencies, God led my heart to trust in His provisions. Where God guides, He will provide... may be a cliché of sorts but I truly believe that if He calls you to the middle of Africa (or anywhere for that matter), he will not forget about you. (For those that are curious... a few of the stipulations I ran into... must spend 3 years in “official missionary training”... must raise a minimum of $50,000 a year in committed support... must be within a certain age range...)
  6. I do not have it all together. I struggle with new things and change... I struggle walking by faith at times... I struggle with loneliness... I struggle with listening before speaking... I struggle with learning a new language... I struggle with trusting... but God uses me anyway.
  7. I don't always get what I want. For years on MKK, I prayed to live in a place with no dirt or bugs... well Nabisooto, Uganda, is not that place. A perfect reminder hat God has a sense of humor and didn't send me to Siberia... which probably doesn't have dirt or bugs but is a bit colder than I am comfortable with. And it reminds me that there is no such thing as a “perfect” place except to be right in the middle of His will.

So with all that said, God chooses to use each of us... not all are called overseas... but if you listen to His small still voice... He will show you where you're to be his hands and feet... could be to the dear sweet children sleeping in the next room... the couple in the neighborhood that are out of work... the friend that just lost her spouse... who can you serve today???

No comments:

Post a Comment