Thursday, October 3, 2013

Cultural differences

Had an interesting conversation with my apartment mate tonight.  There was some confusion among her and the other teachers today concerning directions that I had given.  I had instructed them to meet and decide how to split the baby class of 38 into 3 groups... baby, middle, and top since one of our teachers was back from maternity leave and top class only had 10 children.  I was trying to let them do it since they know the children and I didn't want to micromanage.   Well I found out tonight that they waited on me to meet with them and decide for them... misunderstanding  and something that we will solve tomorrow as I will meet with all of the teachers during break.  However it brought about a great conversation that revealed a lot about our cultural views of each other.  This particular situation I thought they could handle on their own...they thought that I needed to tell them what to do...basically hold their hand and walk them through it.  Very much Ugandan culture to repeat what they are told... we will be working on them thinking for themselves.

So I asked Allen what is the villagers view of me.... she started laughing and said that she was asked if the muzungu eats or does the muzungu know how to cook? I get a lot of shocked looks or surprised comments when I am out sweeping the walkway or hanging laundry.  The assumption is... I am white...I am rich... I don't need to know how to cook and clean... I hire people for that.  Living with me... Allen has quickly discovered that I do know how to cook and clean and at first it shocked her but she has seen my heart.  She too wondered why a muzungu would choose to live in the village but then she saw me washing one of the children's faces and teaching them to brush their teeth and holding them while reading and she realized that I love the children and I am here to help.

We have also had some interesting conversations about me washing my hair with water and why I don't go home on the weekends.  I think living in the village with the people has been one of the best decisions as I have gained their respect... I am not just some muzungu coming... playing santa claus... and telling them what they should do...I am living in their midst and seeing their struggles... building those relationships... and breaking down those cultural misconceptions.

1 comment:

  1. love your commitment to be a part of their lives. Blessings and prayers for better communication.

    ReplyDelete