Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Teaching basic skills

I am a firm believer in the verse... "Train up a child in the way they should go and when they are old they won't depart from it."  For many they think this is referring to discipline but I think it refers to life skills and through guidance these children will learn discipline as well.  Training refers to work that is put in... you can't train for a marathon by sitting on your couch watching other people run... you must get up and run to train your muscles and build endurance.  Same thing with raising children... it takes effort and a lot of energy.  You can't just sit back, do nothing, and expect your child to turn out well trained.   God blessed these little ones to you for such a time as this to steward and train... whether they are biological kiddos ... grandchildren.... nieces/nephews... students... or children that just seem to hang aound.

So with all that said... we have been doing a lot of training aound here with out little ones.

@toothbrushing...  several weeks ago we introduced brushing teeth to the children and it has been a huge success.  I find it funny that the children have to be told to stop brushing their teeth or they would continue for 15 or 20 minutes if we let them.  Anyone else have that problem?  LOL!  I have a couple that just beg to brush teeth on the weekend as well.

@cutting... last week I gave the teachers scissors and a lesson on how to teach scissor safety to the children.  Yesterday the P1 teacher asked for help on introducing scissors to her class... she has the oldest children and in her class of 13... only one had ever used scissors.

@handwashing...  yesterday while I was waiting to start staff development I was watching the children clean their hands with the jerry can and a bowl... a couple would wash their hands and then dump the water and pour fresh for the next children.... I also notuced a couple of the children washing hands and then drinking the dirty water.... so today before break with the help of the teachers... we talked about the importance of clean hands... introduced soap and nail clippers... and did a demonstration on how to wash hands... ALSO taught them' look at my hands'... a signing time song dealing with dirty and clean hands!... we also talked about when we wash hands and to not drink the dirty wash water!

@gentleness... The children find it funny to give me five when they see me however some of the children are a little stronger than they realize and it hurts... so we have been working on the concept of gentle (strength under control)... I am not sure how many times a day I remind them "gentle"... but the past couple of afternoons from my apartment I hear the children outside in the yard playing... repeating... gentle!  Maybe they are getting the concept?!?!

Well the introduction of new concepts will continue for both the children and staff but I want to encourage each person reading this that has any contact with children to be diligent in training up our future generations with the life skills they need to impact their world!

No comments:

Post a Comment