Saturday, October 5, 2013

A thankful heart

Anyone that has been around children is probably familar with Veggie Tales.  All morning I have been reminded that a thankful heart is a happy heart ...I have also been humming the song hence the reference to veggie tales. "I am glad for what I have... that's an easy place to start."  I think it is a needed reminder that being thankful isn't a feeling but a choice...

I have the choice to be thankful....

@when the lights go out in the bathroom, I am out of tp, and I am the only one home.

@when you are fixing something and have run to the tool box for the 5th time only to realze you still don't have the proper tool

@when you  can't seem to get the generator going and you call someone to help only to make more work of the situation.

Looking at all God has blessed me with, even when the above situations happen I can't help but to be thankful because...
@I do have electricity at least when there is sun.
@I have  a head lamp which works great for evening projects like knitting or reading especially when the lights are out
@I have an indoor toilet
@I have a stock pile of tp it just wasn't in the bathroom
@I have an amazing apartment mate that is helpful and keeps me laughing at myself... and she understands my English
@I have the ability... thanks to my dad... to problem solve and fix simple things ...like getting the generator pull cord to retract when it was stuck.
@I have tools and I know how to use them... another thing thanks to dad.
@I have a generator for backup power when needed
@I have others on campus willing to drop what they are doing and come try to help.
@I am learning to do more things than I thought myself capable of.

A couple of other things to be thankful for...
@dirt under the fingernails... due to a garden that is growing and needed weeding
@a sleeping kitty snoring on my lap... as she was not feeling well yesterday due to the possibility of playing with rat poison.  She had me concerned as her little nose had turned white and she kept trying to run off.  She is feeling better today!

So the moral of the story is to be thankful even when the situation is not ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment