Saturday, March 29, 2014

Living on a budget

I have always tried to live within my means... not spending more than I have coming in. 

I have never taken a money management class but I had a mother who trained me well.

I have  credit cards that I use regularly and pay off at the end of every month. 

I have never been in debt... besides taking out a loan to purchase a house in Hawaii  which was paid off several years ago.

Up until a 2 years ago... I didn't follow a monthly budget.... it was at this point I was convicted to create one and it showed me where I could cut back even more on my daily expenses to be able to give more.

Since moving to a cash only society and living off of limited resources since I am not getting paid while here... I have learned a bit about true budgeting.

Each month I take the alloted amount that I have to spend (thanks to generous friends that have followed the Lord's leading to give) down to the forex to get it exchanged... from that I set aside money into different categories for things like... giving, groceries, transport, household expenses, fun money (for things like when we go to Kampala and we have lunch out), savings for emergency, etc.  My housing and most utilities are included in the agreement of me volunteering my time and services ... thanks to my aunt and uncle.

The money gets put into ziplocks with a notecard to write down what is spent.  Every penny... or in this case shilling... is accounted for so it makes you really think before you spend the money.  The rule is when a bag is empty... that is it... you just do without or make do with what you have even if it means beans and rice for a few more meals!  Any money left at the end of the month goes into a bag labeled gifts so when the time comes when I need to purchase gifts to take back to supporters... I have something to shop with.

One thing I have learned that if you are not intentional with your saving and giving... regular every day purchases will drain the resources.

God wants us to be good stewards of the resources he has given us.  It is to be used to further His kingdom and if you are in debt the enemy has you trapped where it is a struggle to give with a happy heart. 

Are there times that I want something that I can't afford and don't have the money for it?  Absolutely... it is those times that I trust that if it is truly a need then God will provise and if not then maybe I don't need it.  God has said he will take care of our needs according to his riches in glory but unfortunately I believe we as Americans have a very skewed view of what we absolutely need and what we want.  If we have to go into debt to get it... it is probably not a need.  Just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment