Saturday, March 29, 2014

Defying gravity

It has been a glorious Saturday night catching up with friends and family while rocking out to the Glee soundtrack. 

I love chatting with friends and family as sometimes what they say or bring up is something new and I have an aha moment.  Well one of those happened tonight as I was chatting with a friend from Egypt... he asked how the weather was here and I told him a little cool at the moment but the days have been rather warm that I feel like I am melting.   I turned the question around on him and his answer was "wonderful like heaven".  From this the aha moment was that the weather in heaven will always be the perfect temperature... never too hot or too cold but just right! 

But the main reason I am writing is one of my favorite song from the musical 'wicked' just played on the Glee sound track... the song "Defying Gravity".  It has a catchy tune and I love the way that it is sung in the musical.   However tonight the lyrics caught my attention...

Rachel:
Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game

Kurt:
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap!

Both:
It's time to try defying gravity
I think I'll try defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye I'm defying gravity
And you won't bring me down!

Rachel:
I'm through accepting limits
'Cause someone says they're so
Kurt:
Some things I cannot change
But 'til I try, I'll never know!

Rachel:
Too long I've been afraid of
Kurt:
Losing love I guess I've lost
Both:
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too higher cost!

Both:
I'd sooner buy defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity
I think I'll try defying gravity
And you won't bring me down!

I'd sooner buy defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye I'm defying gravity
I think I'll try defying gravity
And you won't bring me down!
Bring me down!

Rachel:
Ahh ahhh ahhhh!

Go with me for a minute... gravity is what holds us down to this planet we call earth... without it we would be free to fly to heights not normally reached... yes I also know there are consequences to not having gravity but stay with me for a moment... if social norm is our gravity... how many times do we stay trapped unable to fly?  What would happen if we chose to defy gravity not accepting the limits put on us by things like social norm... fear of a broken heart... or others expectations???  If we chose to defy gravity, who would we leave behind?  What would change in your life?  How would your perspective change if you defyed the social norm and didn't care what others thought? Who would be willing to join you?  Who would bring you down?

Makes me really think who I need in my life and who I need to 'kiss' goodbye as they desire to be held down by gravity!  Limits are put on us by people who want to either control or protect us... either way there are times that the fear of getting hurt or the possibility of hurting others needs to be set aside so that we can break the limits and exceed what we ever thought possible. 

Ultimately to the brave and courageous ... let's defy gravity... breaking boundaries and reaching heights that we have only dared to dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment