Monday, March 25, 2013

Squatty Potties


For those of you not familiar with what these are… I will spare you the picture and give just a brief description….  Think hole in the middle of a cement or rock slab with a curtain or wood wall around it for privacy.  Today while traveling from Kampala to Nabisooto we stopped at a brand new petrol (gas) station to fill up the Land Rover with diesel.  We assumed that since it was a “new” station the toilets would be decent so we passed up the toilets at the grocery store that were charging 200 UGShillings.  Boy was I surprised when I got out of the car and started walking to the “restroom” when one of the attendants came running past me saying “Wait!  Wait!”.  My guess is she went ahead of me to “clean it up”.  Imagine really having to go… walking into a small room with no light except for the bit coming under the door… there is a tank to flush and a hole in the ground… a modern squatty potty!  It is moments like this that I envy the boys!  So sparing details… this is what I have learned while using squatty potties….
  1. Men be thankful!
  2. Women… it is helpful to wear a skirt…  trousers are a pain in this situation
  3. DON’T EVER touch the walls.
  4. BYOTP… Bring your own toilet paper!  Even in shopping malls there is one roll locked up for all the stalls when you enter!
  5. When you find an actual toilet… be thankful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment