Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Day 6: A moment that changed history

Each generation has that defining moment that they can remember where they were at and what they were doing.  For me and my generation that defining moment happened on September 11th, 2001 when the World Trade Center and Pentagon were hit by planes hijacked by terroriests. 

At that moment, I was living in Hawaii and due to the time difference heard about it when my roommates alarm went off.  She came to my room and told me I had to hear this.  My first reaction was "this can't be happening".  Very surreal!

One cannot look at the New York City skyline and not remember that fateful day that not only left a gap in the skyline but also in every American's heart.  As I walked around the 9-11 memorial today, my heart was saddened and overwhelmed by the immensity of how it has changed the set up of that area of the city.  To stand there looking up imagining what it must have been like to see the first plane hit one of those buildings then the other... to see people jumping out with no other choice, is unfathomable. 

In the freezing cold pouring down rain, we walked around the memorial for the South Tower reading the names... mothers and their unborn children... fathers and sons... husbands and wifes... rescuers... emergency personnel... very somber.  Each name has a story behind it.  A family missing a member that was truly loved.



With tears in my eyes and a heavy heart, I write this as a reminder to be thankful for what God has blessed each of us with... we need to make sure those around us know they are loved and that they freedoms we have are not to be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment