Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The "new" normal

What is normal?

As I had caffine at dinner tonight and cannot sleep... I have been pondering a couple of conversations over the past few days.  I have come to the conclusion that I do not fall into the category of normal... whatever that looks like! 

In the bible, to be a Christ follower means we should be a peculiar people and stand apart.  We are to take the road less travelled and do things that make little sense to a world desiring to follow their desires. 

For many years, I have desired to be a wife and a mother but my desire to serve Jesus has been the driving force behind the choices I have made...and I live with no regrets!  I have been looked down upon because I haven't picked a guy to marry...I have been questioned as to my job choices... I have been ridiculed for not taking a position with decent pay and benefits... and I have had to deal with the heart wrenching questions about why I don't have children....

To all of this I answer.... I am not normal!  God did not call me to live in a safe little box... I don't fit into expectations... assumptions... or the ideals of "normal" ...whatever that may be.  Sorry to burst anyones bubble that thinks this is just a short term whim that will eventually get tossed aside in order to live a normal life...

If normal is a decent paying job where I work so much that I never see my children... I don't want normal.

If normal is marrying a guy just so that my needs are met and to check the married box... I don't want normal.

If normal is a 9 to 5 job where I am unhappy... I don't want normal.

If normal is just having children as a status symbol to let the world raise... I don't want normal.

If normal is living in a 5000 square foot house with a mortgage bigger than I make in a month... I don't want normal.

So I challenge you with the question... are you striving to be normal?

Normal looks good from the worlds point of view but has no eternal value.  The Lord works differently in each of our lives but he does give us the choice to listen to what He calls us to do... we can listen and obey.... or we can tune Him out with the noise of the world and try to be "normal".

No comments:

Post a Comment