Saturday, April 12, 2014

When the muzungu runs...

...things happen!

I was warned before moving to Uganda... that people do not run in the village unless they are in trouble or they are chasing someone that is in trouble.  Running raises people's eyebrows and gets people attention.  So when I go running...it is noticed.

Today from my office window I noticed a girl wielding a stick at another student during recess.  Knowing it would do me no good to yell over the other kiddos playing and the tractor... I took off running across campus.  Of course by the time I got there... the stick was gone and everyone was looking innocent however I did talk to the one I saw with the stick.

As I was walking back to my office ... one of my teachers met me and said "I saw you running...what is the trouble?"  I told her about the situation and that I took care of it.  However while I was walking off I could tell she was scolding the children in Luganda...  not sure if it was for the stick or making Mamma Angela run!

No comments:

Post a Comment