Sunday, April 6, 2014

The real meaning of Easter

With Easter being a couple of weeks away... I have been working with the little brown eyed cuties at chapel on Friday and children's church on Sunday with Resurrection eggs.  Many have never seen a plastic easter egg but they are very familiar with real chicken eggs.  These 'special' eggs are assisting in teaching the real meaning of Easter... which is Jesus took our sins to the cross and conquered death and the grave allowing us the opportunity to spend eternity with God.  

This morning at children's church...due to the rain... I started off with 7 children (compared to the 30+ that were there last week).  We went through the resurrection eggs up to the part where the guards are sitting at the foot of the cross gambling for Jesus' belongings.

As we were reading the story in the children's bible there  was a picture of the three crosses... they knew that Jesus was on one but they were curious about the other two.  I told them that they were theives... these children are very familiar with what happens to theives in the village... if they are caught... they are killed.  SO with this concept I was able to bring in the verse..."for the wages of sin is death" and explain that we are all sinners and that blocks our way to God.  Because of our sin we deserve death which means separation from God. 

And of course I drew a picture because these children are visual learners.  I also explained that Jesus... who was perfect...took our sin and took the consequence of it.  His death on the cross bridged the gap so that we can get to God.  Our choice is to accept what Jesus did for us by repenting for what we have done wrong and believing that this sacrifice allows us to be with God forever.  After wards I was watching a couple of my girls and I could tell that God was working on their hearts so I lead them in a prayer and as Allen was translating I could see these little hearts being given to their creator. 

This is the real meaning of Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment