Thursday, April 24, 2014

20 questions from the brown eyed cuties

One thing that has been learned in Uganda is be flexible and expect the unexpected! 

Today as we were driving to town down Hoima Road... the tube leading to the radiator exploded sending water flying.  Immediately we pulled off the road into what happened to be a gas station and set to work fixing the problem.  Hannington sees the issue ...  gets the exploded hose... hops on a boda and goes to town to find a replacement.  Meanwhile Kimberly gets out of the vehicle to go exploring and get food while John and I sit in the car.

I am knitting so I am really oblivious to the children trying to start a conversation with John until they come to my side of the car.  I can't really ignore them as there are 4 little girls ranging in age from 2 to 6 and the older two girls spoke really good English.

This started a game where they would ask a question then run off to tell someone... guessing their mother and aunty ... then run back to ask another question.  It went something like this...  what is your name?   Nze Mamma Angela.... then they would run away in giggles to return with another question... where do you come from?  the village of Nabisooto... they would run off and then after 30 to 45 seconds they were back... do you have a house or do you live with your mamma? I have a house... and this went on for about 20 minutes until Hannington came back with the part and had the car fixed.  We went through every question from what my mama and tata's names were... if I had a sister... what her name is... what were the names of my cousins... where did all thse people live... and the list could go on with the same routine of them asking one question... running away excited to share the answer and then coming back.  On several occasions I did get the opportunity to ask my own questions so I did find out names and ages, where they go to school and what classes they were in.  I also found out why their English was so good... their mamma/aunty is educated and speaks English to them all the time.

If I had to guess... the question with running off in bwtween was the mama's way of working on their English conversational skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment