Monday, April 28, 2014

Oh the humanity!

I sit here debating even to write down my thoughts... my heart is livid and my stomach is churning with the inhumanity that thrives in this world.  I want to shout... A PERSON IS A PERSON...no matter their skin color... their ethnicity... their gender... their beliefs... or their status! 

Why can't people be treated with respect and dignity? 

Why don't others care instead of looking the other way and covering their ears? 

Is human life not valuable? 

Have we so much of hardened our hearts where we don't care that innocent lives are being taken?

Ok... taking a few steps back to explain my tyraid...

A few weeks ago, I found out that one of my children's father's is from Rwanda.  ( He always hides when the camera comes out and we joked that he was one of Uganda's most wanted... well he kind of is...)  His family was part of the Hutus clan which was responsible for the killing of many Tutsies... the other Rwandan clan.  He was the only survivor of his family and fled to Uganda.

This peaked my interest along with recently taveling near the Rwandan border... so I borrowed a book from a friend entitled "Shake hands with the devil" by Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire.  It is a first hand account of the genocide that took place in Rwanda in the early 1990's.  This is not ancient history... this is recent!  Thousands of innocent lives were taken at the guise of "ethnic cleansing" but were you aware of this? 

Most of us are aware of Hitler and what he did to try to annihilate the Jews... but are you aware that this type of genocide has happened time and time again and been swept under the rug?  Even to the point of well known countries not wanting to label what was happening in Rwanda as genocide because then they would have to get involved.  I really think that bothers me even more than the senseless killing as entire governments knowing what is going on and turning their backs...ignoring the problem.  May I add that just because you ignore a problem... doesn't mean that the problem goes away!

I challenge you... if you are reading this post... to see people as God sees them.  Don't let media hide what is really going on overseas.  Read up on international news and pray for the people there.  Don't get distracted by the latest celebrity to get a DUI while entire groups of people are being forced out of their homes and being killed.  Be informed on what is really going on in this day and age!

No comments:

Post a Comment