Friday, February 28, 2014

Lightbulb moments

One of my favorite moments as a teacher is when the lightbulb goes on for a child that has been struggling with a particular concept.  As an administrator.... I guess I have to say that the same is true when the teaching staff have one of those lightbulb moments.

For months I have been working with my Ugandan staff on hands on teaching and engaging the learners.  There are so many moments that I just want to throw in the towel because they just don't seem to understand.  I continue to show ideas and take them by the hand on how to engage each learner and not just have them copying written work off of the blackboard.

Not sure what has changed this week but it seems for a couple of my staff... the lightbulb has switched on!  And to top it off... it is contagious. They have been requesting materials to do projects with the children... they have hung up the childrens work in the classroom...  ultimately putting into practice some  of the things that have been discussed at teacher's meetings.

Some things are learned by necessity... Monday we released our village pastor from his duties so that has left some holes in the school like registering new children...collecting term fees... and running chapel.  The first two things I am now doing.  Yes my Luganda skills have progresseed enough that I understand what is being said... still can not respond fluently but have enough of the language to get my point across.  I am leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks... needed someone to step up to lead chapel.  The staff did an amazing job running chapel today.  Allen led music... I assisted in teaching a new song...Irene taught the bible lesson ... and Stella closed out chapel with a recap of the lesson and prayer. I could tell that they were fighting some nerves when it started but you could sit and watch their confidence grow!

Exciting lightbulb moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment