Tuesday, February 11, 2014

No judgement allowed

So I will preface this note with a warning label... if you are prone to unfiltered judgement... stop reading here!

For those still reading.... what you are about to read may shock you but desperate times call for desperate measures!

My day started by hitting the snooze button a couple extra times this morning... couldn't get the cats (yes that is plural) out of the house... when I finally walk up to my office a bit before 7am... I could hear yelling and crying from one of the classrooms... after putting my backpack in my office... I went to investigate the ruckus to find one of our new children pummeling another child... after breaking up the fight... trying to figure out what was going on from the upset children speaking very fast Luganda... giving one of those children morning detention of scrubbing out the kitchen... the other I sent to wash his face, hands, and legs...I set to work bandaging a little girls finger that had been sliced by a panga... and all of this happened before 7:30am when classes are to start.

And it gets better from there... delivered 40 pairs of shoes to the rightful owners in the appropriate classrooms... found that we had 2 children in classes that were not fully registered... had a little one come late that wasn't feeling well so he came to sit with me  while I tried to get paperwork done... he eventually fell asleep in my arms and slept for almost 2 hours.  Everytime  I tried to lay him down he would rouse and start fussing again.  Had another child come to register today.  The clinic staff started health lessons today.  The topic was toothbrushing so that was started for the school year after the children ate.  While all this is going on requests are being made that have me running all over campus..."I need the pipes and tools tonfix the kitchen sink."..."Get me a red pen."..."Assist me with tape".... "may I get the posters for the classroom?"

Needless to say I am feeling a bit stretched and pulled thin in places.  Finally make it back to my apartment to charge my laptop only to find that when I plug it in it makes funny sounds and is not charging properly...it just needs to hold out a few more months.  Checked messages only to find matters that pull at my heart and others that make me hit my knees in prayer.

Was sitting on the chair just wishing I could hop in the car and go get dinner....hungry but not motivated to cook a meal from scratch.  Looked in my pantry and found remains of a christmas care package assortment... remember NO judgement... I found pre packaged pancake mix...a mint chocolate bar...hot chocolate mix and half an old fashioned peppermint stick. So I chopped up the chocolate bar because there is no such thing as chocolate chips here... and mixed it in the pancake batter to make chocolate chip pancakes and boiled water to make a peppermint mocha.  I know.... not the most healthy dinner but remember no judgement. 

After dinner I longed to soak in a hot bubble bath but since all my basins are too small for me to fit entirely in.... I settled for going to work in the garden and pumping water at the bore hole with the brown eyed cuties.

I am sure when I leave this place that there will be lots of things that I will dearly miss but at this moment... I am missing someone who understands my language... a hot bath.... and a meal that is fast and made by someone other than myself!

1 comment:

  1. Just think in a about 10 days you will be wanting to get those two Muzungus out of your hair!! I promise we'll help come up with interesting things to cook though..

    ReplyDelete