Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Money matters in Uganda

Today after the brown eyed cuties lunch I walked down to where they were brushing teeth to take some picts.  While there I had noticed a group of people in front of the clinic.  I was introduced to an elderly gentleman who was holding some sort of treasure wrapped in paper in his hand.  We shall call him jaja as I didn't get his actual name.

Anyway jaja proudly shows me the treasure that is wrapped in paper that he has been holding onto for awhile...an American dime.  With the help of the clinic staff I told him what it was and how much it was worth.  I explain to him that it was worth less than 500 Uganda shillings.  He wanted me to exchange it for him so I did and he wanted a picture so I took one of him.  He hugged me and then he walked away elated with most of those standing around following him. 

After all of this I inquired of the clinic staff of who the man was and what that was all about.  From what they said the younger guys watching this entire situation had told jaja that the coin was worth a lot of money... enough to buy two bodas and a car.  I have a bunch of practical jokers living in the village.  They kept telling him he needed to go get it exchanged and he would be rich.  By the look on his face when I gave him 500 shillings for it... he didn't seem too disappointed.   I walked away from the entire situation, after giving an American money lesson to some of our brown eyed cuties, feeling very amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment