Monday, January 13, 2014

Responsibilty

As I am laying here stretched out on the living room floor my mind is reeling over which topic to write on first...  so I think I will do the events of the afternooon and then will breach the topic of muddy living.

It is Sunday evening.... the day has been one filled with laughter, connect 4 matches, and singing of Bible verses.  At any given point of the day I have had 15 to 20 children on the veranda playing.  This is one day of the week that there are really no rules on when they can play. 

By the afternoon I get called out by one of the ladies asking why the older boys have the ball and I realized they had taken the little girls playground ball and were using it as a futbol.  First of all the boys were told not to take the girls ball as it is not made to be kicked as hard as they do and second the big boys had been told that in order to get the real futbol I needed permission from this particular lady.  (They had been dodging work to play futbol.) Unbeknownst to me a basin had gotten broken last night while these boys were playing and no one took responsibility.

When I pulled these boys aside and said that the basin needs to be replaced before the ball can be given out... the excuses started flying...I didn't do it... I don't have money...etc.  so I told them I don't care whose fault it was but responsibility needs to be taken if anyone wants the ball back. If money was an issue I am sure we had some digging  that needed to be done so they could earn the money.  If they were interested they could come by in the morning and jobs would be given.

The basin is only about 6000 UGX to be replaced or about $2.50 but it is the principle of taking responsibility for actions.  I desire these boys to be responsible young men who do what is right!

No comments:

Post a Comment