Monday, January 13, 2014

Muddy living

After downloading some books by Beth Moore the other day, I started reading one tonight.  It was a Bible study I had done many years ago but in book form entitled Believing God.  Since that has been my struggle lately in a couple of areas of my life I thought I should read it.

I got the book barely started and this story of ducks playing in a mud puddle when there was a clean pond within sight caught my attention.  That is where I stopped and had an aha moment.

Let me try to explain the background of my aha moment.... since before the new year started I have been praying for God's guidance and direction in my life.  There have been some promises spoken during my quiet time with Him that I have been trying to figure out how they will be fulfilled.  There have also been numerous dreams that I am trying to get clarification on.  For whatever reason...the date of January 10th kept coming to mind when I sought answers so silly me thought there would be something in the line of direction given by this date. Well the day came and went and even though it was a good day... there were no answers... not a single one.

This got me thinking.... what if I tried my options and did things my way?  So for the past two days I have ben pondering how to get the ball rolling so that I can get what I want.  (Now that I just wrote that down it sounds very selfish...but I am being honest!).  I had come up with a couple of ideas and was going to start 'working on' them this week.  Which brings me to this evening... here is why the above story in the book convicted me...

Why am I going to settle on a muddy puddle when there is a clean pond just ahead?  Yes the muddy puddle is cool and convenient but the pond is clean and comfortable...clearly God's best is worth taking a few extra steps and waiting just a bit longer.  I understand this concept in the brain God gave me but my heart is acting like the little girl off of Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory that cries...'but daddy I want it NOW!'.

One of these days God is going to give me exactly what I think I want but there will be consequences attached as I didn't wait on His timing and His best.  I am going to end up muddy and limited in my space where God desires me to have plenty of clean water to swim around in.

So for this moment I choose to wait on His timing and believe that He will provide answers when I am good and ready.  Until then I will put my ideas and plans to jump ahead of God into the muddy puddle in the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment