Tuesday, January 21, 2014

'I don't understand your English'

While I was cleaning up chiildren's chuch this morning... two boys came wandering up. One I recognized but it had been awhile...the other I had not met. I stopped my work to catch up with the boy I recognized in the red shirt... the other boy cowered in the shadows...curious but never coming forward. 

After a few minutes of casual catching up... how are you? What grade are you going into? And other like questions.... I turned my attention to the other boy standing before me asking the same questions....  the boy in the red shirt answers for him... "he does not speak...his mother died 5 years ago...his father two years ago...he doesn't go to school"... the boy is probably around 7 or 8 if I had to guess.

So after hearing all of this I asked... who does he live with...his jaja(grandparent)?... the response was.... all the jaja's died... in order  to lighten the mood that just got rather heavy... I asked... where does he live? Does he sleep in the matoke tree?...the boy in the red shirt looks at me very puzzled and says "I don't understand your English. Look at his clothes... he didn't have so I gave him some of mine.  We take care of him. God said we need to take care of others"

I agreed with him and told the boys that God loved them and so do I.  Within a few minutes they wandered away and it hit me...  These little ones may not understand my English at times but they understand my heart.  They are real!

All of this coming from a young man going into P5...equivalent to a 5th grader.

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, I would be crying ALL the time if I were with you. So much grief and brokenness...but I do love sharing my heart with others, which I can see you are doing, Angela. What an Angel you are to those you are serving. May God bless you one zillion fold!
    OXOOX,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete