Sunday, November 10, 2013

"Mamma said there'd be days like this"

Today was just one of those days where knowing about certain situations within the village just makes your heart ache.  Children covered with scabies...numerous children and workers with malaria...older kids that go to other schools wandering around because their parents won't/can't pay school fees...children as young as 4 years old being left at home by themselves while the mom leaves for several days at a  time...

Here I had been upset at one of the staff because he had not been doing what I was told was his responsibility.   As I searched out the situation I found out that he was not being given the information needed in order to do what was expected.  So spent some time giving individuals specific directions instead of general instructions where no one picks up the responsibility

A day that was supposed to be fun and enjoyable was taken too seriously and the children were upset and angry as a result of the teachers stress.  Culturally corporal punishment is a way of f dealing with all kinds of issues including not writing neatly ... so after witnessing several instances today of harsh reactions to minor infractions... I know what we are going to be discussing at Monday's staff meeting and what will be written in the policies.

The situation also came up of one of the teachers pretending not to understand me and not working with me or the rest of the teachers in providing a quality education for these children.

To top it off Sheba killed mouse number 2 this morning while I was up at the school.  By the looks of it the mouse had gotten into the poison we put down in the shop so when Sheba got the mouse she got really sick and just cried with her tummy all puffed up... she ended up vomiting all of her stomach contents under my uncle's bed which thankfully is just concrete floor and easily cleaned up.  At one point I found Sheba in the clinic on one of the exam tables seeking treatment.  Thankfully after all that she is back to her playful self.
And that was just Monday...  this week has been a difficult week filled with situations that can only be defined as spiritual attack.  I know I am supposed to just let things go but after being bombarded in battle for 7 days my heart is heavy and I am physically tired.


Here are the things you can be praying for...
@Christmas shoes... after days of trying to get the word out and computer issues and internet issues...finally got posted and have 10 pairs of shoes sponsored ... great start but still alongway to go especially within the next two weeks!
@computer... seems like each computer on campus is having issues.  Mine has been on the  verge of a crash for the past month... finally crashed this week... my uncle put in a new hard drive and started loading programs back on it and it crashed again.  Time for a new computer and really have no way to get one at the moment.
@Strength to do what God has called me to do for today and peace to wait on his timing for the future
@Wisdom to know how best to help this community... there is so much need that one person can't alone do it and there are cultural issues that break my heart that I alone cannot solve.
@Health and God's protection from things like scabies and ringworm. 

Thank you for your prayers and the words of encouragement.  I have really enjoyed the snail mail letters! (Hint, hint) 

No comments:

Post a Comment