Thursday, November 28, 2013

Not your typical thanksgiving

When I think of thanksgiving, I think of 3 things ...

1.  A big meal with family and friends to share what we are thankful for
2.  Cooler weather
3.  No work or school

Well Hawaii took care of number 2... but every other thanksgiving for as long as I remember... 1 and 3 have taken place... that is until today







Thanksgiving in November is an American holiday... so in Uganda it is just a normal day to work.  Being the only American in the village, it is difficult to enjoy a holiday by yourself so I chose to work today.  








With the term and the school year ending tomorrow, there were lots of preparation for parent day/promotion tomorrow... cleaning... inventory... reports... etc.  Spent my morning cleaning both at home and in my office...washing stuffed animals from baby class... moving furniture.... taking down posters... etc.  This afternoon I have worked on the report forms for each student.  Before the sun went down played ball with some of the little brown eyed cuties in the front yard and then sat on the porch and colored until it was almost dark!  
With no oven and the lack of a good turkey... the meal is simplified to tuna patties, pasta, and steamed veggies!  Haven't decided what to make for dessert but it may be a rare treat of reeses peanut butter cups sent by a friend in a care package!  Blessed to have food on my table and friends and family around the world that stay in contact via facebook, skype, and phonecalls!

A year ago I flew in to New York on thanksgiving and got to see the Macy's parade and have a big thanksgiving meal with friends.  Within a few days we got to see the snow and cut down a real christmas tree. What a huge difference a year makes.

Thankful for all the experiences that God has allowed me to have.  Who knows what next thanksgiving will hold?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment