Monday, November 18, 2013

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas....NOT!

After living in Hawaii for 12 years, I have come to terms with the fact that Christmas can be warm...  I have come to terms with being far away from biological family...  and I have come to terms with not always having the traditional foods I grew up with for thanksgiving and christmas....  With all that being said....living in Uganda puts an entirely new spin on things.  All of the above still apply here however there are very few Christmas decorations and the only ones in the village are in my apartment... there are no christmas lights... or baked treats... or things like egg nog or candy canes!

This morning I woke up to one of our workers playing Christmas music... and it kind of caught me off guard.. It got me thinking that thanksgiving is less than 2 weeks away and Christmas not far behind.  It really does not feel like the holiday season.  This holiday season will be very different as thanksgiving day is just another workday in Uganda (and the day before the end of our school year)....our holiday break is all of December and January... and I don't have other American's to celebrate with that are close by...unless someone wants to come for a vist!

John and Kimberly did get me a Christmas tree when we went to Kampala and I plan to make cinnamon ornaments.  Going very simple this year.  I would still like to hear from you via christmas cards and several of you have asked for a current needs list for myself and my little brown eyed cuties...

@travel size alarm clock that takes AA or AAA batteries
@boy's clothes ...shorts and shirts
@paper clips
@felt... different colors
@yarn for knitting
@scotch tape
@wall calendar
@sponsor for P1 field trip to Kampala
@sponsor for health/hygiene program...donations can be made through ITFM...SAME AS THE SHOE LINK JUST ADD WHAT THE MONEY IS FOR
@any other fun treats
@monetary donations can be sent to... my mom in NC or ITFM...please don't send cash or checks to Uganda... they won't make it to me!

Reminder low values on the custom slip as well as writing educational materials...take off all extra packaging and careful with things that may melt or spill!

Will update everyone after I go to the main post office to pay custom fees to pick up waiting boxes as to how much the cost is on my side.  However things like cards and pictures go through just fine with a single international stamp!

The address is

ITFM
c/o Angela Calhoun
PO Box 71748
Kampala, Uganda, AFRICA

LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM EACH OF YOU SOON! 

No comments:

Post a Comment