Monday, May 27, 2013

My story- Filled with grace

Yesterday at church... Pastor Randy encouraged each of us to tell our story... ultimately the story of how Jesus changed our lives to make his-story!

After growing up in a Christian family and church from before I was born, I thought it was all about a checklist.  Do the works (ie going to church... be good... etc) and God will bless... disobey and there are consequences. 

At age 7, I accepted Jesus as Savior with a friend at Vacation Bible School.  It wasn't until age 16 sitting at a dear friend's funeral that I laid down my pride and realized I needed Jesus to be LORD of my life.  I had been fighting Him so long doing what I wanted. To me it had been all about a religion (things I have to do to get to God) and Jesus wanted a relationship (He has already done it by dying on the cross and rising again... it is a free gift... nothing that I have done or could ever done!)

As I have gotten older... I have realized that God's grace has protected me from making a true mess of my life.  It is nothing that I have done.  A favorite quote of mine that reminds me to not judge and to show humility is "There be I but by the grace of God." 

In college, at another friends funeral, I realized God's call on my life to serve Him wherever He leads.  At that point I laid down my ideas of what I wanted and traded them for what God desired.  I could have never imagined where His call would have taken me but I would not trade it in for my ideas.  His way is so much better! I still struggle but my feet are planted on HIS rock.  In Him, He won't let me fall.

May I pass on the encouragement to tell your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment