Sunday, July 17, 2011

Summer reading

As an avid reader, I am always on the lookout for an exceptionally written novel.  Some friends that recently came out to visit asked if I had read the book "Molokai" by Alan Brennert.  Not only had a I not read it... I had not even heard of it.  (Which is funny since it is based on where I live!)

Last weekend, I stumbled across it in a yardsale box of books for 50 cents.  By Wednesday I had finished the almost 400 page novel.  It is a fictional book about one girl's exile to Kalaupapa from Honolulu with leprosy.  The story follows her life as she journey's through this disease.  Even though it is fictional, the research has been done and a lot of what is recorded is historical. 

Living on Molokai, I found that I couldn't put this book down.  It was so spell binding knowing the history of Kalaupapa.  This is a recommended, must read! 

1 comment:

  1. How funny! My mom and I both read this book while living there, and my dad was just reading it last week. Today, it is actually advertised in the Target ad! (Not for 50 cents though...)

    ReplyDelete