Monday, August 19, 2013

Adventures in the Golden State

Several friends (not on facebook) have emailed asking how California was, so while I am stuck on a planefor the next little bit, I thought I would put together a snippet of the fun adventures....

Wednesday... flew out of Mkk to Hnl where I met up with Joe Greene... taught at MCA ten years ago and he just recently moved back to Hawaii to work on his doctorate... talked story for 3 hours before I needed to check in for my mainland flight.  Flew Hawaiian to Oakland where I spent the flight talking with my seat buddy who is an astrologer.  Quite funny as she noted after checking out my signs that I have great adventures in store.  Boy do I ever!  Brent and Ashley picked me up and we drove to their house.  Kind of tired but not enough to fall immediately to sleep... however when my alarm rang the next morning... I was struggling with the time difference!

Thursday...after a cup at coffee  at the house... Ashley and I headed to the restaurant Railroad for breakfast and then up to Mt. Diablo...which is the highest peak in the area at almost 4000 feet.  Beautiful day!  Stopped at Chickfila for lunch and then spent some time looking around Livermore.  Brent had a work meeting slash cookout so we went to that and spent time inside catching up.  I am blown away how warm it is during the day but how cold it gets at night.  Also realized that California doesn't just get its name from actual gold  but how gold the hills turn during dry season... absolutely beautiful!  Once we got home we moved the baby furniture up the stairs and sat and talked about the new baby while playing fetch with Sophie ...the dog!

Friday... Ashley and I had breakfast at Starbucks and then set out to register at Target and Babies r us.  This was way too much fun!  Met up with Brent for lunch and then Ashley's ultrasound appointment.  So cool to see this little lady!  Went home and made pound cake... while that was cooking we ran out and got fresh strawberries and stopped at Trader Joes.  Had dinner with some of Ashley's math colleagues. 

Saturday... We had breakfast at Country cafe and then headed off across the bay... stopped and walked around Stanford University.... drove along the beaches which were freezing... had lunch at daddy o's... then headed to San Francisco... went to gheridelli factory ... saw alcatraz and the golden gate bridge... went to fisherman's wharf and saw the sea lions... had clam chowder in a bread bowl at the Boudin sour dough bakery... oh and I ran down Lombard street and drove past the Full House row of houses known as the painted ladies.  It was definitely a full day!

Sunday... went to the early service at Crosswinds then out to breakfast at Danika's where they had huge cinnamon rolls.  Went to babies r us to finish the registry, drove past several vineyards and then home to take a nap.  Enjoyed dinner out at an italian restaurant then went on a couple of walks.  The day was finished with Club McHale and watching Lion king in 3d

Monday... lazy morning... packed and hauled my stuff downstairs... had to deal with a couple of phone calls... but wanted to spend time catching up with Ashley so I knitted on the couch while chatting with Ashley.  Met up with Brent for lunch at a mexican place ... went back loaded the car ... Ashley took me to where she works and we walked around a bit before heading to the airport. Traffic was not bad at all so made it to OAK where we said our goodbyes and I headed to check in.  Got bumped up to first class so got to board first and it was a nice relaxing flight.  May have to fly first class again when it is a longer flight!

Overall the theme seems to revolve around food, friends, and fun.  Good times with a dear friend that I haven't seen in a couple of years!

No comments:

Post a Comment