Sunday, April 28, 2013

My addiction

Anybody who has known me for any length of time, knows that I have an addiction to FOOD.  I eat when I am happy... I eat when I am sad... I eat when I am angry... I eat when I am celebrating... I eat when I am depressed... I eat when I am anxious...  Just about the time that I think I have it under control, I am reminded that I don't.  It is my thorn in the flesh that I am sure I will have to wrestle with until Jesus comes back! 

Many who have addiction to things like drugs and alcohol are able to give them up and they can still function and be a better member of society.... however a food-addict cannot give up food all together without dying.  It takes a whole lot of self control and will power but by God's grace it can be done. 

Throughout the past 5+ years, I have lost the weight and reigned in the addiction but over the past year due to some medical issues and other things my weight has slowly crept back up.  Thankfully only to a point that clothes are getting a little snug.  I was smart enough throughout this process to get rid of clothes when I "out-grew" them... so my sizes are still much smaller than when I started.  I did this so that I couldn't go pull out a bigger size from the closet and add to the snowball.

Anyway after trying on a pair of shorts a couple of weeks ago that were at one point loose and are now snug, I decided that it was time again to retrain my brain (and tastebuds) to what I should be eating.  No dieting... just a reminder of what a proper... well balanced diet looks like... Lean meats, fruit, veggies, etc but out with the dairy, white grains, and processed sugars.  So far it has been working well and those shorts are getting less snug! And I am not craving the foods I shouldn't be eating!!!

Well what brings all this about... I was watching tv last night and thought how almost every commercial break has at least one food commercial if not a couple.  My tummy was somehow full and satisfied after dinner but while watching tv, it starts craving all the things that are advertised.  Foods that I would not normally eat anyway become a huge temptation.  Hmmm... does that mean I need to give up tv???  That is not going to happen but maybe muting on commercial breaks wouldn't be a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment