Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Bachelorette

This is the first season that I have gotten hooked on the reality tv show "Bachelorette" on ABC.  Normally I don't get ABC at my house and most seasons there is just too much drama for my liking.  For whatever reason, I stumbled upon Emily midway through this season. 

A little background... Emily is a single mom who has been left at the alter on a previous season of The Bachelor.  She as invited back to find her "chance" at love again with 25 guys.  Each week at least one guy doesn't receive a rose and is sent packing.

I think that is enough background.  Any way most seasons, in my opinion it is based on lust not love.  The majority of the show is spent with the bachelorette making out and making false promises to the myriads of guys in hopes of finding "love".  I guess, this season, what really caught my attention is how genuine some of these guys were.  Some were very respectful and had a heart to find true love even with risking a major heartbreak.

Ok... all this leading up to the episode tonight...  Emily has narrowed it down to three guys... spends an enchanting week in Curacao with them.  At a very emotional rose ceremony she sends Sean home.  Sean is  the one that I really thought Emily would end up with... just a truly genuine heart.  As Sean is leaving, he lovingly says to Emily, "I care about you.  If this is the best for you then do what is best for you."  Sean left shell shocked as this had caught him off guard and he was truly heart broken.  His comment reminded me out of 1 Corinthians 13, the verse that says "Love is not self seeking".  True love looks out for the other persons heart before their own and I think that was evident in Sean's heart.

So much of our world is built on "if you love me, you will...".  The self-gratification type of love that puts "me" ahead of others.  God's view of love is opposite... it is not self-seeking... His love says "I love you so much that I will lay down my life for you so that you may live."  Such amazing TRUE love.

No comments:

Post a Comment