Monday, September 1, 2014

Stand up and be counted

Well I had seen the signs posted in Kampala that the census was being taken...

A young man named Fisal came by the village today to register all that are residing here.  It also happened to be the first day of school.  So between the opening assembly and running errands for the teachers... and hiring a new teacher for P2... I took the time to sit in my office and meet with the census taker.....

As he asked the questions I just had to laugh because the way they were worded or the info they were trying to glean would only be asked in Uganda!

Here is a sampling of some of the questions  and comments that were made ...

How many years have you made this year? When I gave him my age... his comment was...you are not very young.  LOL!

Marital status... when I told him I was single... he asked "are you searching?"

How many children have you produced from your body?

What is the floor of your house made of?

Are you lame in any part of your body?

Is there a flush toilet in your house? To which I replied, yep... the only one in the village!

Does every member of your family use soap to bathe?

So I do realize that my answers are very different from the majority of the people living in the village and I do understand that the government is wanting to make some changes and that is why they are doing this... but I found the entire process very amusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment