Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Never a dull morning

I was recently asked what my normal day looked like.  Well there is really no such thing as normal and I have learned... I have to be flexible.

Monday morning I had planned to greet the childre,  have a staff meeting, go visit each classroom, give out gifts for perfect attendance, and work on some paperwork.  Well it seemed like everyone else had other ideas... two new children needed to be registered... school fees needed to be paid and receipts written... children came in for shoes...Mamma V (our kitchen cook) was off campus for the day burying her aunt that just died so our gardener was put in charge to make breakfast and lunch for everyone...met with our clinic staff to see how the children's checkups were going and found out we had 4 children with jiggers again... and the list could on.  After school, it was finally sunny so we went on a couple of home visits to get some information on a few of our children.  The first home we went to was a 20 minute hike UP the side of a mountain that I wasn't prepared for... and these children do this numerous times a day! 

Today started off with me not wanting to get out of bed.  Came down to greet children and staff. Saw one child come walking up to come to school that was not enrolled but with school supplies.  Sent him home to bring his jaja to fill out the registration paperwork and haven't seen him since.  Then as I was walking around the classrooms taking attendance one of my staff had an urgent message that her baby was not doing well and she needed to quit.  So we are now looking for a middle class teacher.  Truly never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment