Saturday, February 12, 2011

In memory of Tinkerbean

On January 23rd, a precious pet left this earth.  Even as I write this several weeks after the fact my eyes are full of tears and my heart is filled with sorrow.



Tinkerbean (along with 4 siblings) were rescued at approximately 2 weeks old after their mother was mauled by a dog.  All five kittens spent the weekend in my bathtub being dropper fed every two hours and bathed to stay clean.  The following Sunday, they were adopted out... everyone except Tink because at that time he had an eye infection.  This was August 25th, 2006.

Over the past 4 and a half years, there have been a lot of fun memories with this little furball as he captured the heart of everyone that he met.  He didn't realize he was a cat as he loved water, knew how to fetch, and would bark out the front window at the neighbor's dog.  He would greet you at the door by rubbing up against your legs and lick you in the face once you sat down.  During naps, he would curl up on top of my head and purr himself to sleep.  He loved to play and be the center of attention.  Looking back, yes it was a very short life but well lived. 

His last few days were filled with pain after being stung by a scorpion and loss of body functions... he wasn't eating, drinking, or using the bathroom.  All day Saturday, I could just tell he was in pain but he was still trying to be the snuggly kitty.  But on Sunday, January 23rd, I woke up at 7am and all he could do was wag the tip of his tail and look at me with a weak 'meow'.  He couldn't move and when he tried he couldn't even get his paws to the floor.  It was so heartbreaking.  I picked him up and brought him back to my bed where he snuggled until he gasped his last breath.  Tink died in my arms at 10:15am.  The hardest part was I couldn't get ahold of anyone... everyone was at church or not picking up their phone.  I had to bury Tink by myself but that was probably the best as I truly know that God carried me through what I didn't think I had the strength to do.  Tink is now buried in the back yard with a very simple funeral filled with more tears than words. 

Even three weeks after, I thought I could write this but I have sat here struggling for composure to see the computer screen.  It has truly been a difficult trial but God has truly been faithful to be my strength and joy through it all.  You don't know God in certain ways until you go through something that is beyond what you can do.

I have also realized that pets are the closet thing that we get to unconditional love on this earth.  Tink was not just an animal... he was a friend and a companion.  He will be sorely missed.  As one of the sympathy cards said, "Pets touch our lives in their own special ways and remain forever in the warmest corners of our heart".

Love you, my dear Tinkerbean!



1 comment:

  1. oh angela, i'm SO sorry! i went through a similar experience before Christmas and haven't blogged about it yet. we had to say goodbye to our "hairy son"...i still find myself crying over things that remind me of him.
    i'm glad that you had him in your life and hope God has given you comfort during your time of mourning.

    ReplyDelete