Thursday, October 2, 2014

The joys of traveling within Africa

Anyone that knows me, knows that I love to travel... I enjoy meeting new people and hearing their stories...learning new languages... experiencing differing cultures... and taking time to enjoy the scenery. 

On today's trip through Ethiopia to Egypt... I was reminded of a couple of other joys that I have only  found in  Africa... Ebola checks and Security agents that are players...

Ebola check...  as we deplaned in Addis Ababa we were met in the corridor by men is white hazmat suits...looking like something from a Stephen King movie...  as we walked past... a gun looking thing was held to our forehead and our temperature was taken.  If the temperature was found out of what they were looking for you were sent behind a white sheet.  Since my temp was normal... I did not get to experience what went on behind the white curtain.  Guess I don't have Ebola!

Players... in Uganda I have had numerous run ins with players... men trying to use their charm to sweep me off my feet.  Today as I was going through security to board the flight to Cairo, one of the security agents started asking where I was going... and why was I going to Egypt if I wasn't Egyptian... and why was I not spending time in Addis to visit him? Everything in me wanted to respond how I normally would in Luganda to this guy... but I knew it wouldn't work due  to the language difference.  So I just gathered my belongings and laughed as I left the last question hanging ....rescued by the passenger behind me!

Well I am sure as this journey continues... there will be more funny stories along the way... but at this moment my tablet is running on low battery.

Until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment