Saturday, October 25, 2014

Cultural differences

"So, you'd have  me turn into one of those girls parading down the street in tight jeans with their hair exposed for everyone to see? Do yo you realize that each time a man looks at them, a sin is counted on both their slates? How many sins would that make per minute, good sir? Or per hour? How many sins would add up in a whole day, or a month, or a year? What about a lifetime?"  ~Candygirl by M M Tawfik

While at the American University of Cairo with Lori a week or so ago... Justin and I were exploring the campus and the bookstore and ran across their freshman required reading...Candygirl.  After reading the back cover, it looked intriguing so we got it and during the time at the Red Sea I read it.  It is a novel based in Giza Egypt and Charlotte NC of trying to capture this Egyptian man.  All the while their is a love story running through the storyline.  Overall not the best book I have ever read but culturally interesting.

I ran across the above mentioned quote while reading and it made think of the reasons why women in this culture cover themselves.  Wearing tight clothes that expose parts of their body as well as having their hair uncovered is a big no no in the Islamic culture because it causes others to stumble.  I am not sure I could have put it any clearer than this quote.

So as I sit in a lounge chair in a very conservative one piece American style swimsuit feeling very uncovered.. all around me are women in brukini's (spelling?)... covered from head to toe because that is what is appropriate for what they believe.  I have looked at some of these ladies in full garb while their husband is walking side by side with them in a speedo... wondering how fair that is.  Then I realize that it is also a way that the husband protects his wives and daughters from the undesired attention of others.  We as Americans could learn something from dressing a little more conservatively.

No comments:

Post a Comment