Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Million camel smile

Coming into Cairo my bride price was 1,000 camels ... however after a week in Luxor the running joke is that my bride price has gone up to 1,000,000 camels.

Even though I am dressing appropriately within this culture... long sleeves and long pants or skirts... I can't seem to go anywhere without attracting attention... stares, comments, and offerings of camels.  The guys in our group won't let me go anywhere by myself so I feel very protective.  Most of the time I am oblivious.

We went hot air ballooning on Sunday morning... the videographer would pan quickly past everyone else then stop in front of me and wait for me to wave for a few seconds and then move on only to come back to me a few minutes later.  Hence the running joke started of the million camel smile!

When we went to the Giza pyramids one of the security guards asked Justin if I was his wife and he protectively said yes.... then the guard tried to trade his two wives for me! Really? I have gotten really good at pretending to be deaf, blind, and mute in this culture as it assists in me not getting trapped in a situation that I would need to be rescued out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment