Sunday, August 10, 2014

In the life of a little brown eyed cutie...

Living in the first world most of us take for granted many things...like where our next meal will come from...decent medical care when needed... a safe place to stay at night... an environment where death is not commonplace for young children and a society that for the most part values human life.

After being in the village for a few days I am reminded of the things we take for granted that are serious issues in the third world...

+Thankfully the growing season and harvest have been good this year.  This is important as the children will have food at home and families have money to pay school fees.

+Had a little one at school this morning that was not playing and when I  checked on him ... I noticed that his hand and leg had been cleaned and bandaged.  I followed up with our clinic staff and they told me, Godfrey was helping his mother cut up food and sliced through his hand ...then dropped the knife with the blade slicing his leg on its way down to the ground.  After he had eaten... Nurse Josephine walked him the 3 km home to make sure his parents were aware to bring him back each day to get it cleaned.  Serious concern about infection setting in.

+Yesterday one of the praises at church was shared by Jessica... a mom of 4 young children that woke up to find a large snake next to her sleeping children.  The praise was the snake did not harm the children.

+On my desk, in my office, my teaching staff had written notes of those children that had lost family members over the last few weeks.  Unfortunately it is common place to have parents die of AIDS or malaria.  One of my little ones... Emmanuel... that was missing alot of school when I moved out a year ago because he was hiding from his very abusive father... just had his father die from an accident.

All the reminders of the differennces between 1st and 3rd world living.

No comments:

Post a Comment