Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Great Expectations

Recently a mentor, hanai mom, and dear friend encouraged me to think about my expectations with the upcoming transition.  Expectations that can be hopes (positive expectations) and fears (negative expectations).... expectations put on us by others as well as those put on us by ourselves.  As this dear friend explained transitions are made even more difficult by unmet expectations.  We all have expectations whether we verbalize them or not.  So taking this advice, I started mentally pondering what expectations I have and realized most of my expectations are coming in as fear.... all the unknowns... what if's... and short comings.

For example... I expected this transition to be somewhat difficult but knowing that I would be around for an additional bit of time.... I thought that it would make the transition even smoother.  What I didn't count on was all the emotions of letting go and relinquishing control.  I didn't expect to miss the people of Molokai so much over the month away at grad school which brings up the question... what is this going to be like for 9 months???? 

I guess without going into every expectation... here are a few... I expected my dad to be more on board and my mom more reserved with this whole idea of moving to Uganda and it has been quite opposite.  I expected more "comments" from people on MKK but they have been very supportive.  I expected some tears but SERIOUSLY???? 

Other expectations.... I am expecting God to take care of all my needs according to His plan.  I am expecting lots of "by myself time" and not really looking forward to this.  I am expecting to lose weight as my eating habits will be forced to change.  I am expecting to get a lot of reading done.  At this point I am not sure what is expected of me which is a little unnerving.   I am expecting to make new friends but realizing that many will have no clue the situation I am in.  I am expecting much growth to ultimately make me look more like His image.  I am expecting God to do above and beyond what I can ask or imagine.  I am expecting to have my share of "let-downs" when things happen differently than  what I expected. 

So in a nutshell... these are my expectations... however I know my God has GREAT EXPECTATIONS for me as He has great plans for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment