Saturday, June 23, 2012

Thought provoking

After just finishing my first week of graduate school, I am reflecting back on all that I have learned in the past 5 days.  Honestly if I am asked to describe my first week in one word, I would have to say... INTENSE.  Classes go from 9-4 every day and then I have been spending 4-5 hours in the evening working on papers, reading, and projects.  So far it has been a good experience... overwhelming at times... but good none the less.

A couple of things have come up this week that have been thought provoking...

Why I am going back to school?  -A few months ago, in my blog, I posted  Dreams Come True. This really has been a recurring theme in my life.  I truly enjoy travelling, working with little ones, and teaching big ones how to work with little ones.  These themes are being combined in the research that I am currently doing so this is tying in all of my passions.  One of my professional goals has always been to get my master's degree and since I am passionate about working with little ones, what a better field that getting my master's in Early Childhood Education.  God has placed this desire on my heart and I will follow him as He continues to open the doors in His plan for me.  I am not getting my master's for career advancement or a better paying job (however if it happens that is fine!).  It is what He has called me to for right now and I am enjoying every step along the way.  Ultimately He only knows the plans He has for each of us. (Jeremiah 29:11)

What do you want to be doing in the next 5 or 10 years?   This question has come up several times this week on surveys from professors and discussions with classmates.  Whereas most of my classmates have listed getting a better job or opening their own center, my answer has been short and sweet... to be a wife and mommy.  At this point, God has not opened those doors so I will continue to pursue what He has for me.  However, at the point that those things change I will willingly lay down my professional life to be a wife and stay at home mommy.  Friends through the years have commented on the fact that I am so independent and goal oriented that it shuts the door on those things.  I truly believe that His timing is perfect and that He is good.  I have been given those character qualities as a gift and only God knows how I can best use them for His glory.

So overall I am throughly enjoying this chapter in my life and being able to continue my education.   God uses all we go through for our ultimate good and His glory!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Although it would not be wrong to be pursuing higher education for career advancement! For someone with YOUR heart, Angela...you would use ALL the $$$ He would give you for His Glory anyway! I know for me, I NEED to make more $$$ to help provide for our family...and that is a godly goal too. Love your heart for HIM! OXOOXOXOOXXOOXO...See you in the morning!

    ReplyDelete