Thursday, April 15, 2010

All in a days work...


I always thought that if I ever move back to the mainland there would have to be some serious mentality changes from the way island life is...


Take my day for example...


4:45 am- Woke up, showered, and got dressed in khaki pants, socks, boots, and a red sweater... it was cold (65 degrees F!!!)

5:50 am- Left for airport (yes only 10 minutes from my house!)


6:00 am- checked in for flight... despite the long line ( 4 people in front of me) the Island Air agent (who I knew) just took my id and brought me my boarding pass since I had no luggage.

Talked story with several friends who work TSA security and had a few minutes to read several chapters in Deuteronomy

6:45 am- boarded flight to Oahu with 30 other people... a third of whom I knew!

7:30 am- arrive in Oahu... talk story with some Molokai friends while waiting for our shuttles

8:00 am - NAEYC accreditation meeting begins

12 - 1pm- Pasta buffett for lunch provided with the meeting... (yes it is silly to find food this exciting but a good lunch is always a motivating factor when headed off island)

1 -4pm- The rest of the meeting.... very beneficial and what I needed to rekindle the fire for me to continue working on portfolios for the accreditation process.

4:15pm- Back to the airport where I meet up with the Aunty of one of my preschoolers to transport a forgotten camera and developed picts back to a scrapbooking mom. (Sorry Jeremy- No time for Micky D's today)! Check in and run into one of the kids I had in Good News clubs ten years ago (he is now an island air agent).

4:30pm- Pull out my laptop and work on a few class write ups before the plane arrives and the line starts to board. While waiting I catch up with Aunty Tess who assisted me when I bought the house.

5:25pm- Walk out onto the tarmac in the afternoon Hawaiian sun and board the plane. Sit in the first row and talk story with Uncle Dino for the 20 minute flight back to MKK. Just enough time to catch up on world events and how all of creation is crying out for Jesus to come back.

6:10pm- Arrive in Molokai and I am home in my warm comfy pj's by 6:30pm out watering my plants.


Where as most people just hop in their cars to get to meetings... the adventure of flying every other month to a meeting (and paying almost $200 for the flight... $184 for today's journey) is something that will be missed if God ever moves me back to the continental USA!


DISCLAIMER: This email is not.... I repeat... IS NOT... stating that I am moving. Molokai is my home for such a time as this and I am blessed to live here. This blog is simply reminding myself of all the blessings there are in a simple days work!

No comments:

Post a Comment