Saturday, February 7, 2015

No more excuses

Finally had enough with excuses today and I did something about it...

one of my 6 year old boys ran across the classroom not once... not twice... but three times in a 2 hour class and started punching another child. Each time I separated them and talked to the child about hitting.

After class I talk to the dad about the child's behavior and asked that he talk to the child at home about his behavior because if it happens again, it is a threat to the other children... and he will be removed from my classroom. 

Dad's first excuse... the child doesn't understand... so I calmly explain that he was told in his 1st and 2nd language to be kind and hitting is not kind. 

Dad then says... the child wouldn't have acted that way in class if mom was picking him up... to which I responded... I don't want excuses!  I want you to tell your child he can't hit because if it happens again I will be calling you to come and get him and he will not be welcome back in my class. 

At this point it looks like another excuse is about to pop out... so I very sternly told the dad... No excuses... talk to your son and take responsibility!

I am living in a society where no one takes responsibility and it is always someone else's fault. 

No comments:

Post a Comment