Saturday, February 7, 2015

Frozen

"The cold never bothered me anyway"... I would be lying if I said that the cold never bothered me as I really enjoy the warm weather. 

It is in the single digits here in Chengdu and that is probably the same inside my apartment as well as outside.  As I sit here blogging... I am under two blankets with two layers of clothing... plus my heavy coat and ear muffs watching my breath make little white puffs every time I exhale. 

Ok... it is freezing and this Hawaii girl is not a big fan of the cold.  It is winter in China... understandable... but having the power out makes for a very cold day/evening when you live in an apartment where the only allowed fire is on the cook stove.

I woke up a little before 9 this morning to the sound of the heater going off which is startling because it is set on a temperature that it will never reach (the only way I can get warm air blowing out.)  Anyway... I thought maybe the electricity card that Chris left had less money on it than he thought so I got dressed and went down to the local convenient store to add money to only find that they were out of power as well.

Went back up to my apartment to get ready for work.  Walked the 5 minutes to work to find that the entire block was out of electricity.  The staff at work decorated theclubhouse for chinese new year but classes had to be cancelled as there are no windows in the classrooms for natural light and all of our curriculum is based on the computer and the interactive whiteboard.  So instead of working until 9pm... I was back in my freezing apartment by 5pm with classes rescheduled for Sunday evening.

The electricity did come back on around 11:30pm so life was back to normal but it got me thinking about being self sustainable and living in an apartment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment