Thursday, December 11, 2014

Oh...Shanghai!

With 24 hours left before I head out of the world's most populated city... I have been thinking of how much this city has grown on me over the last 5 weeks.  Yes...I have been here a month...and this country mouse may be turning into a city mouse!

It is 6am on Friday  morning and I have been awake for an hour or so.  Woke up sweating as I had turned the heater up way too high when I went to bed a little after 1am.  Still getting used to living in a cold wintery climate... however I didn't open my window to the single digits outside... just turned off the heater in the room!

Yesterday on my way to work... the realization hit that I am moving to an 'unknown' city in 2 days... christmas is in 2 weeks... and all the people I have grown close to I am leaving in Shanghai... plus missing family and friends.  Was almost to work when the song from Les Mis 'On my own' started playing through my earbuds and I couldn't help but have a twinge of sadness over missing certain people in my life and saying goodbye to more.  Sat down in my classroom to prep lessons for my 3 afternoon/evening classes and then took my Chinese learning partner out for coffee and donuts as it was her last day working. 

I have been blessed with dear friends here in China that are from China that make living here so much easier.  From helping to translate coupons to shipping luggage and packages to ordering food to directions... they have definitely assisted this not mandarin speaking American to settle into life here!

One of the additional perks of living in China... teaching English for an international company is there are lots of other expats around.  After living in the village for a year as the only one... it is a definite perk to have other native English speakers to go out to dinner or drinks with and to show you where to go and find good Mexican food.  And yes I discovered really good Mexican food in Shanghai! 

I also love love love the learning center I have been working at over the last 3 weeks.  I came in to sub while they found a permanent teacher for these classes and the staff and management have taken me in as family.  They have invited me to their houses and out for dinner... they have assisted with lessons and given this newbie lots of valuable information on how to teach certain topics.... they have shown me where to get the best Christmas decorations and they have made me feel welcome.

As half an hour has passed...my room is now at a temperature where I can curl up under my down blanket...and comfortably go back to sleep until breakfast... I will sign off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment