Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Remembering days gone by....

Over the past few weeks, my yard has been neglected due to everything going on.   It is hard to do yard work in the dark and with getting home as the sun is setting, my grass has become knee high in places. So today I got home around 5 and finally had the motivation and energy to do the yard.  Midway through the yard, I am thinking who can I hire to do this job.  Minutes later I turn around and there are three girls from the neighborhood standing there with rakes and brooms asking if they could help... my response... That would be awesome!  The girls raked and swept while I finished weed eating. 

This brought back great memories of my brother and I working for my neighbors growing up.  Mr. and Mrs. Evans were an older couple that had a big farm and orchard.  Many summer days were spent at the Evans mowing the orchard, thinning the corn, and doing other odd jobs that needed to be done.  Mr. Evan's would normally pay us a few dollars and there were always sodas in glass bottles and a huge train set to play with. 

This was in the late 80's ... early 90's before most households had "personal" computers... Mr. Evans always had the newest and best programs on his huge computer.  I remember doing numerous papers and projects on that computer because the fonts were so much more fun than the old school typewriter that my mom had.

Looking back, I think of all of the fun memories and realize that my mom probably enjoyed the break while we were with the Evans.  The Evans probably enjoyed the help and the liveliness that two youngsters bring.  Sadly Mr. Evans passed away many years ago and Mrs. Evans is living in a much smaller assisted living home in town.  I still try to see her when I go back to NC and we write snail mail notes back and forth. 

It is funny how something as simple as three neighborhood girls offering their help could bring up such a flood of memories.  My heart is blessed beyond belief!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment