Thursday, July 24, 2008

My Week of Vacation

Do you remember every year on the first day of school your new teacher asking what did you do over the summer? Well here is what I did ... focusing on my week of vacation.


All summer I worked keeping children from 7:30 til 4 while their parents worked. After six weeks of watching between 7-10 children, I was due for a week vacation so here is what I did...

Sunday afternoon I checked in to a room with a gorgeous view of Lanai and the Pacific Ocean, had the kindest people waiting on me hand and foot, room service with three nutrious meals served daily and I was able to put my feet up in the air conditioning and watch cable... relaxing around the clock!

Some five star hotel you maybe thinking???? Well not really! I spent the first three days of my vacation checked in at Molokai General Hospital due to a medical emergency.

A very serious infection several layers under the skin had made it's home causing a LOT of pain and a temp of 101+. After 3 days at home with epsom salt baths, hot compresses, and activated charcoal, I was still in a lot of pain and still had a high fever so Amy drove me to the emergency room where I thought they would lance it, drain it, and send me home.

Long story short- after loads of antibiotics, an ultrasound, and an excruciating procedure (there is no anesthesologist on Molokai) most of the infection is out or it is continuing to drain. I have as a souvenir a rather large crater (an inch and a half deep) that has to be repacked at the hospital on a daily basis.

The whole experience also made me realize two important things
1. That I need to Be still and listen to God
2. God has put some absolutely amazing friends in my life out here! Thanks!
I am home now with the ability to move about! My calendar for the week has been cleared of meetings and even with my birthday being tomorrow.... I have NO plans!
School starts on Monday with 20 children enrolled. Please be praying that my body will continue to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment