Sunday, May 3, 2009

Learn something new everyday


It has always been my personal challenge to learn something new everyday. Some of these lessons are little things... some big... some should have been learned years ago... some taught by children... some learned the hard way. But all learned.


So my lesson begins yesterday with my neighbor dropping off seven fresh fish that had been swimming just minutes before. They were netted from the ocean at the bottom of Kawela.
I enjoy eatting fish but have never learned how to skin them. That evening I mentioned my problem as we were sitting at a going away party for a friend and our pastor's 10 year old daughter explained to me how to skin and gut a fish in great detail.


For dinner tonight... I followed Cendall's instructions and had steamed fresh fish with spinach. It was very delicious (or as they say here... ONO!!!). But as I was cooking the dinner I had a few thoughts about lessons learned...


1. Fish gills are sharp and can cut your skin.

2. Teach your children how to clean fish at a young age. I learned how to cut, clean, and prepare a whole chicken fryer before I was a teenager but it took me 30 years to clean a fish.

3. When skinning fish... work outside ... as my kitchen counter is now covered with fish scales!


So what lesson did you learn today???

1 comment:

  1. it's hard to believe cendall is 10!! i remember her being in her little infant seat the first year i went to moloka'i!

    ReplyDelete